Ride day: 3 - DGB

Sorry for the delay! No Internet at Kalaloch Lodge.

We departed Victoria at 8:30 AM, on schedule, however it was discovered that the ferry docks were much closer to the hotel than anticipated, so we opted for a photo op at the Royal Theatre with all of the bikes and riders since it was on the way to the docks.  
The touring production of Mama Mia had just closed and loaded out the night before. We did our best to make Dopher proud with the parking job, and got the banner photo. We also said goodbye to Mimi this morning, as she was headed back to Vancouver. We'll see her again in Seattle when we get back.

The ferry ride to Port Angeles was a little different, to begin with we had to clear U.S. Customs.  The ferry we took was the MVP Coho, commissioned in 1959 so an old-school boat compared to the boat from Vancouver.  I'm pretty sure I rode this ferry some thirty years ago. We were all greatly entertained watching the Coho disgorge the vehicles she carried, including a 53' semi. We all gave the driver a round of applause after watching him clear the loading doors, dock obstacles and or waiting bikes with a few inches to spare, something only stagehands can truly appreciate.

The other difference for this trip was that we would be crossing the open water of the Straight of Juan de Fuca. Since there was potential for the boat to roll and pitch we were much more concerned with strapping down the bikes. The boat crew was very accommodating, and our 16 bikes were strapped to the walls of the forward bow doors and walls.

Once again we were blessed with a beautiful morning. As we pulled out, the bay was alive with sailboats, sea plane traffic and high speed ferry arrivals. When we reached open water, it wasn't long before passengers were reporting whale sightings, and we all had great fun being the first to report spouts and flukes all around the boat, albeit and some distance. By mid-straight, we all pretty much got our sea legs.

As we approached Port Angeles, many of the riders were pleased to have cell phone coverage again, contacting friends and family. Unloading went very well, and we were on our way to Clellum Bay. The highwy hugs the coastline, and the twisties from Port Angeles to Clellum Bay were awesome. For the most part the cage drivers were happy to pull off and let our serpentine formation pass and enjoy the curves. Much appreciated. The group riding together very well at this point, a clean, tight formation dropping to single file when necessary to take the tighter turns. This an amazing sight to behold from near the end of the formation, this snake of bikes slithering the coastline.

We took our fuel stop at Clellum Bay, where a reporter for the local paper interviewed some of the riders and took photos.  LRLR makes big noise in Clellum Bay!

The twisties from Clellum Bay to Cape Flattery were equally impressive. It's a mind bender to realize that we're at the farthest northwest corner of the continental USA. Only a few years ago LRLR was in Eastport Maine, as far east as you can go in the USA. To commemorate this, many photo ops were done at the overlook of the rugged coast. I took the opportunity to share this view with Sheldon, the little red plush lobster that I purchased in Eastport, Maine and he's ridden on my bikes tank all across the US now, from sea to shining sea. Now we have the picture to prove it.

Free play back to Clellum Bay, which means the riders could take the twisties at their own pace, then an hour ride through the Olympic National Forest to the coast and the lodge at Kalaloch. The air was full of the natural aroma of cedar.  The huge trees began to give up views of the rugged beaches of Washington's west coast. Awesome.

We were amazed to see that our rooms for this stay were actually cabins overlooking the beach. Dinner at the lodge was more of a party, and we all were thrilled to be here. 

Tomorrow, a 400 mile ride to Coos Bay.  Can't wait.